Hessle Town Council awards grants of up to £1,000 to local organisations (and may consider up to £3,000 for larger projects/services) to assist them to achieve their aims and objectives. The Town Council has a policy of only assisting truly local community groups, and this is interpreted to mean those organisations based in the Parish of Hessle or national bodies with an independent branch in the Parish of Hessle, providing support to the residents of the Parish of Hessle.
How is an application considered?
The Finance, Personnel & Asset Management Committee will consider applications on the following basis:
- How well the grant will meet the needs of the community.
- How effectively your group will use the grant.
- Whether the costs are appropriate and realistic.
- Level of contributions raised locally.
- Whether the applicant could reasonably have been expected to obtain sufficient funding from a more appropriate source.
- How the group is managed.
- How the grant positively benefits residents residing with the Parish of Hessle.
- Percentage of members living in the Parish of Hessle.
Grant Applications will be considered at the next scheduled meeting of the Finance, Personnel & Asset Management Committee, which meets on the 2nd Wednesday monthly (except August).
Applicants must fulfil at least two of the Town Council’s General Aims & Objectives:
- To support and contribute to the economic and social life of the town and regeneration of the local community.
- To encourage and promote the economic and commercial vitality of the town.
- To preserve the unique identity of Hessle and promote its heritage.
- To help create a socially inclusive and caring community.
- To organise, promote and manage a variety of events within Hessle.
- To protect and improve the environment of the town and promote sustainable development.
What the Town Council will not fund:
- Activities that are part of statutory obligations.
- Loan repayments.
- Retrospective applications where the activity or project has already been carried out.
- Religious or political activities unless unrestricted community benefit can be demonstrated.
- Applications for the benefit of an individual.
- Any group that has received a grant from the Town Council with the current financial year.
- Any group whose aims the Town Council considers to be working within a business or profit making remit.
What it will fund:
- Starter Grant – A ‘Starter Grant’ may be applied for in advance of the opening of an organisation’s premises, in accordance with the Community Aid Policy on applications, or in any period up to thirteen months after the inauguration. Advance application will be considered and if granted, will not be paid out until the applicants have demonstrated that they have a meeting place and a bank account.
- Equipment Grant – Upon application consideration will be given to all enquiries. Organisations will be expected to demonstrate the need for grant aid, and should they be successful they will be required to order the goods in their name, pay the account themselves and then present the settled account to the Town Clerk, who upon authority and having been satisfied that the goods have been purchased, shall process the financial arrangements in favour of the applicant.
- Maintenance Grant – Upon application consideration will be given to all enquiries. Organisations will be required to demonstrate that their latest audited accounts, and their current accounts, show no debts attributable to the items listed below, for which a Maintenance Grant application may be considered:
- Rent of meeting place, premises.
- Solid fuel (for heating)
- Oil (for heating)
- Community Scheme – Enquiries which will be considered:
- From groups which embrace more than four unconnected organisations, and demonstrate to the Council their intention to serve the public of Hessle, or
- Other schemes approved by the Council which, in the opinion of the Town Council, will serve the public of Hessle.
How to apply?
- Applications for funding must be made on the appropriate Community Aid Application form.
- Only one application per financial year can be submitted by an organisation.
- Copies of the required supporting documentation as listed on the application form. If for any reason the organisation is unable to provide any of the required information, the reasons must be declared in writing and signed by the Chairperson and attached to the application.
- Any additional information e.g. leaflets, literature, annual reports etc which would evidence any previous work undertaken are also welcomed.
All meetings are held at the Town Hall, South Lane, Hessle, HU13 0RR and applicants are welcome to attend the meeting to provide any additional supporting information.
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology and are in the following formats: .pdf. Request an accessible format.